Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Steven Curtis Chapman

Steven Curtis Chapman (SCC) is one of my all time favorite musicians. He is a bit "old school", but he loves God with every fiber of his body, you can tell. He is a talented songwriter and singer. He has 3 grown children and adopted 3 from China. As many of you heard, on May 21st he lost his daughter, Maria, to a tragic auto accident at his home. She was hit by a car driven by one of her brothers, backing out of their driveway. She was 5 years old.

I have been grieving and praying for this family. I feel like I know them, in a non cheesy way just through his songs. It grieves me to think of losing one of my own precious boys and to even imagine what they are going through, I can't even imagine. What makes it even more tragic, was that very day, their oldest child, Emily, got engaged that very day. On her blog, there is a picture of her on that day with her ring and this giant grin. I've been reading "HOUSE MIX" mix blog for the past few weeks. Jim Houser, (a fellow Cedarville grad) is his manager and communicator and very close personal friend to the Chapman family. He is grieving as well and is trying to minister and help them get through this time. Its awful!

All that to say, is that I am encouraging all of you to pray and to remember their family. Its is only be prayer that we can get through these horrible events. Every time I hear one of his songs on the radio, that is what I do.

The Chapmans have not publicly spoken about the event and all concerts have been cancelled until July 11th. Wow! can you imagine going up there to sing? To sing the song "Cinderella" that he wrote for Maria? Awful!

I am touched by their humbleness and their generousity for all by their music. The family has a center of Hope they are building in China for orphans with special needs. And to this date, b/c of the tragedy their organization has raised over $500k ... God is being honored

No comments: