About a month ago, my DH caught my oven on fire. Oh yes, FIRE! I was attempting to clean out this nasty piece of appliance and DH decided to "help" me by unscrewing the heating element, and sparks ignited and flames were scene, my kids are hovering under a blanket on the coach, DH starts screaming "CALL 911" Thankfully, no 911 call was needed, just a fire extinguisher. The repair man came out a few days later and he said it was faulty wiring. This began the calls to the Home Warranty Company. (A picture of my faulty oven after they took it out today)
You have to understand that we have made full use of our Home Warranty since moving in - new hot water heater, microwave, central vac repair, oven repair (when we first moved in the display panel didn't work) and now we can add a NEW VIKING OVEN! After several phone calls, DH, got them to give us a cash out. They would not replace my old oven, which was a Jenn Air, with a comparable one. So we found on ebay and purchased it with the money the Home Warranty gave us. DH did have to drive up to D.C to pick it up, but he was there on business anyhow.
The boys were so into watching the installation process. It was quite fascinating to them. Parker kept asking questions, and Anderson just sat there mesmorized.
But here is my NEW OVEN!!!! DH does have to do some repair work to the cabinetry to get it to fit snugly in.